General Code of Ethics
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required,
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon preforming an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch may report such an operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be cured. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for nor supply puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the rehoming of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog and will agree in writing to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand-alone items (not accompanying a dog)
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) Will not breed from any dog/bitch unless hip scored under the BVA/Kennel Club Scheme.
16) Will not breed from any bitch less than TWO years of age and not allow their stud dog to mate any bitch under TWO years of age.
17) No bitch over EIGHT years of age must be allowed to whelp unless prior Kennel Club approval has been sought and granted.
18) Bitches must not be mated on consecutive seasons, there must be a 12 month period before whelping again.
19) Will not whelp more than FOUR litters from any one bitch.
20) Will apply the Kennel Club endorsement R "Progeny Not Eligible for Registration" to all bitches they breed and under no circumstances consider removal of said endorsement before bitches reach TWO years of age.
21) Puppies should have attained a minimum age of 7 weeks (with 8 weeks being the NIRC recommendation) prior to being sold. They should have obtained enough growth, mobility and mental attitude to cope with being separated from their littermates and their dam. Puppies must have been wormed fully and if sold after reaching 10 weeks of age they must have commenced an Immunisation Programme.
Any breach of these provisions may result in -
Expulsion from Club Membership and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club,
and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action as deemed appropriate.
NIRC Code of Ethics
When returning an application to be considered for NIRC Membership, both new and existing members of the Northern Ireland Rottweiler Club must agree to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
Amendments may be made to this Code of Ethics when deemed necessary.
Members will be duly notified of any changes.
USEFUL ADVICE ON
PURCHASING A PUPPY
We have included a page with some helpful pointers on purchasing a puppy from reputable breeders, with questions we recommend you ask and things to look out for.
We now have a Members Page available, where members can advertise their Kennel and Contact details for a small annual fee of £10. Includes up to 6 photos and a link to their website.